Made some good progress today but didn't quite cross the finish line as it took a little more time than I originally thought to achieve the results I wanted but better to go slow than rush through and regret it in the end.
The first step today was to apply the decal markings for red 07. All of the decals were applied and given a light dose of Walther's Solvaset to get them to snug down tight. Everything went great except with the left turret side...I had the decals perfectly in place and the Solvaset on and managed to somehow drop the turret...causing the 7 to crinkle just a bit...was able to fix it for the most part but it wasn't perfect so later on in the weathering process, I got a little creative but more on that later. Once all the decals were on and set, a 2nd coat of Future was applied to seal them in.
After letting that sit for an hour or so, I started by introducing variation to the base color using the "dot method", employing dots of Italian Dark Brown, Afrika Braun, and Afrika Khakibraun. A 0 round sable brush and clean thinner was used to blend the dots and produce some subtle color shifting in combination with the previous base coat and shading.
This was then followed with a pin wash of Raw Umber to bring out the details. The excess wash was removed with a small pointed brush and clean thinner.
Some of the tide marks that showed up in the photos were followed-up on and I also dry-brushed some of the Afrkia Braun onto the turret numbers and balkenkreuze. The left side turret numbers were weathered just a touch heavier due to the decal damage mentioned previously.
Weathering will continue with a dull coat up next (have to go to the LHS as I discovered today I was out) followed by a pigment treatment.