I'm quite a passive member of this forum since I subscribed many months ago. I learned al lot from you all by reading your great posts/blogs/articles. I thougt it would be a good idea to show you one of my builds so you can see what you thought me in the past. Sorry by now for all my mistakes you will find - english is not my mother tongue - but I try to do my best;-)
I've a strong interest in un-vehicles, since I did military service in Austrian Bataillon UNDOF on Mt. Hermon/Syria. I always wanted to build a real big thing in white, not only AFVs like M113s. When I bought the book "Blue helmets under fire - Samuel M. Katz/Yves Debay" I found what I was looking for. The Leopard 1A5DK. After searching round the web I also got inspiration from Sven Young's great build of his Leopard 1A5DK SFOR with mine-ploug on track-link.net and from Jason Bobrowich's superb article "Albino Cat" in AFV-Modeller Issue 14. Last but not least I got some reference pics from UN-Veterans from Denmark - thanks to you all!
A little bit of history
UNPROFOR (United Nations Protection Force) in Bosnia-Herzegowina was in 1994 supported Denmark with 10 Leopard 1A5DK. These Tanks were modified german Leopard 1A3. For the mission on the balkans the Leos also got some typical modifications like XSW-Searchlights and storage-bins from abandoned M41DKs. 3 of these tanks were fitted with RAMTA Mine plough - I will go for one of these.
It was not so easy to find the right parts for this project. The best kit around for this is still the 20 year old Italieri Leopard 1A4!It was really hard, but I could get one from the great e*ay. Also the M1A1 Kit from Dragon (with Mineploug) was found useful and won in an online-auction. Also the Aftermarket Kit C072 Danish Leopard 1A5DK from Accurate Armour was essential for my plan. Karaya Tow Cable, Eduard brass, Evergreen strips and some Decals will become handy.
When starting a project I alwas do the build in mind and make notices which parts of the kits will be used. I ususally spend a lot of time for this but it my help to avoid mistakes during the build.
Starting the project
Often it is the first thing to do - cleaning up the wheels. Danish Leo wheels typically don't have striation like the one from Italieri Kit. Here I used the resin-parts from the Accurate Armour Kit.
Blocks from resin-casting were sanded off with the use of a dremel and wet-sanding paper. (When sanding resinparts don't forget to protect yourself with a mask!)