As a diorama builder, I have been interested in Miniart’s building ruin and diorama kits. In fact, over the years I have collected several with specific projects in mind. However, being unfamiliar with vacuform kits and the techniques used to construct them, I put off working on them. I was also puzzled by the continuing lack of builds online and in the modeling media.
Well, I put myself on the spot when I got the opportunity to review a new diorama set, Village Road with Ruined House, kit number 36020. The review sample came with the caveat that, in addition to an in-box review, I was also to do an online building log. Because I was also expected to actually build the kit and prepare a build log of the process, I had no choice but to actually figure out what to do with one of these things.
So, the first thing I did was check out Miniart’s website where they have two very good tutorials: one for construction and one for painting. I then gathered my scribing tools, which included these Stanley tools picked up at my local Home Depot.
Following Miniart’s suggestion, I then started scribing a line along the outline of the building parts, which proved easier than I expected. I had the most luck with the bent tool. However, due to the thickness of the parts, it still takes a while. Once I believed I had scratched a deep enough line in the plastic, I snapped the excess plastic off the building part. Here you can see where I have made the initial snap, but not yet fully removed the excess plastic:
I then repeated the process on additional parts:
Here you can see the excess plastic that was removed in my initial session:
At this point, I had invested about two hours of time in the project and I still had large sections of the building to go, and I had not even started the assembly of the building ruin. I was beginning to think those plaster buildings aren't so bad after all. Anyway, i am continuing to plug away and will post more pictures soon.