Back for another segment in the build process.
First, yes Jon, the plastic was surprisingly thick. It took numerous "cuts" to get it ready to snap off the piece. How many exactly, I don't know as I did not keep count. However, as I grew more confident I realized it did not take as many cuts as I originally thought so the process became much faster. Also, I switched to an exacto blade and realized that was more efficient at making the irregular cut lines on the destroyed edges of the building.
Using the blade, I finished removing the various pieces from the surrounding plastic sheets. Once all the pieces had been removed, I then gave each piece a good sanding to remove any vestiges of excess plastic. At this point, the time investment was in the neighborhood of 5 plus hours.
Once the edges had been sanded, I did some quick test fitting and realized how difficult it was going to be to get these various pieces aligned and glued in place. I followed an idea I had read somewhere on the internet to glue tabs on the edges of the pieces to increase the glueable surface area, thus making the assembly process easier and the bond more solid. I used the excess plastic created when I cut out the building pieces and glued tabs on the flat and straight parts. As expected, the result was not the best alignment and there were major gaps all over the place:
The most serious was the building side where there was an overlap between the two pieces:
Once I had assembled the building ruin, but before filling in any gaps, I did a test fit on the base:
Satisfied with the overall fit of the ruin to the base, I then moved on to filling the gaps. Most of the gaps were easily filled using premixed wall spackle paste available at any Wal-Mart or DIY home improvement store. I simply used my finger to get a “glob” of spackle and apply it to the gap. You can see the results here:
For the side of the building with the overlap, I mixed up some Apoxie Sculpt two-part putty and applied it to the overlap.
I then waited a couple of days for the putty to dry thoroughly and then commenced sanding. After what seemed like an eternity I got the side of the wall sanded down smooth and hopefully removed all vestiges of the overlap. The final test will come when I prime the building ruin. I also sanded away any excess spackle.
At this point, my time investment is 9+ hours and I have not even started adding the doors, windows, etc. to the structure.