login   |    register
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Soviet SU-152 Assault Gun
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
Joined: October 21, 2007
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 12:38 PM UTC
Jan Etal provides a built review of the Soviet SU-152 Assault Gun from Pegasus Hobbies in 1/72 scale.

Link to Item



If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Joined: April 04, 2009
KitMaker: 457 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 04:36 AM UTC
Very interesting to see one of these fast assembly kits reviewed. I have seen some from other makers and they have been pretty poor. I am not an expert builder but the kit is a bit too simple for me. Always nice to see these things before you buy.

Regards,
AJ
Braille
#135
Visit this Community
California, United States
Joined: August 05, 2007
KitMaker: 1,449 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 01:23 PM UTC
Jan,

I have seen a number of these type of fast build / war gaming kits in the 72nd scale range from a few manufactures. Iím glad to see this review as it helps to point out any assembly fit issues, clarity of assembly instructions and quality of decals issued (if supplied with kit). Looks like these kits are far better than the tank kits of yesteryear that I started building when I was young and starting out in this hobby.

The kit that youíve reviewed is most excellent for the beginner and it would not be out of the question for the advanced modeler to turn it into a nicely detailed representation of the real vehicle as you are doing! From the photographs you presented this kit is loaded with a lot of surface detail with nicely textured armor panels and reasonably detailed suspension and hull parts just like on the real vehicles. And the quality of the castings is up to current molding standards. The only deficiency I noted is the detail of the outer surfaces of the tracks and these could be handled with a little mud, or as you mention, modified via drilling and adding bits of sheet styrene.

This manufacture is putting out a WWII German E-Series fast build tank that I have had my eye on for some time now. And as this E-Series tank is yet unavailable from any of the other Braille manufactures I may go ahead and spring for it after seeing this review and noting the quality of this manufactures kit.

Thanks,
-Eddy
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Joined: March 23, 2008
KitMaker: 2,770 posts
Armorama: 2,638 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 04:41 AM UTC
Sorry to take so long to respond but...

@AJB - Thanks for the comments and can I say, don't totally write this kit or the manufacturer off. There is a lot of potential with it and for the price it makes for a nice base to experiment on.

@Braille - Eddy, from what I have read of other Pegasus kits, they all appear to have in many ways an equal or similar level of detail. As I state above and you imply, they can potentially be transformed to really be something with some work.

Here's how the kit has progressed with the first stages of weathering.







The process so far has involved two applications of different coloured textured medium. The base of each is Snow-Tex white textured medium with one coat having Buff acrylic paint mixed in and the other coat with Dark Earth. Each are applied randomly with a "stipple" brush. The combination is great as you can vary the texture and thickness of the mix. More thinner and it gets rather soupy. Less thinner and you can end up with thicker clumpy "mud".

I'll post more progress pictures as the build nears a more completed state.

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Joined: March 23, 2008
KitMaker: 2,770 posts
Armorama: 2,638 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 04:22 AM UTC
Well, best laid plans are gone to waste when the necessities of everyday life decide that they require one's attention.

I put down where some Future acrylic where the decals were to go, then the decals and added a tarp from the spares box. Next step was to begin distressing the white decals with various washes of acrylic and then more Future mixed with Tamiya Flat Base.





My next step was to pick out subtle details (highlighting and shadowing) with greys, browns and tans. Even with acrylics it's a slow process as there is a need to wait for each layer to dry. Not there yet but it's progressing.







I am able to devote a few hours to this project today so with some luck I might get this one finished. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
Jan