Probably a bit long winded, but if any of you viewers out there remember these and used them, please feel free to add or correct me on the contents. Been a loooong time.
Side note story I'll never forget: Graf, 1983, Bliedorn Tower area. GP Medium. The SSG taught me and one other Soldier the quick and easy (unsafe) way to blow the soot out....
1) turn up the heat, get it just cherry red on the base,
2) get a 1/2 coffee cup of water,
3) using glove, lift top lid about 2 (TWO) inches,
4) quickly pour/throw water in,
and the most important?
5) slam lid back down! FAST!
That water will hit the "fire" and literally blow the soot out of the pipes.
PFC M.A.T. wasn't quick enough; lost his mustache, eyebrows, and a fair portion of the hair right above the forehead.
PFC Me was the only one allowed to do that afterwards.
Ahhh...those days.... lol