With the turret construction completed, I moved on to the chassis.
Again, M48 is a quite simple tank, so there is really not much going on except for the stowage boxes and front light.
There is a strange looking box-shaped object on the side of the engine deck. It looks like an air filter for the engine, but Im not quite sure.
I decided to replace the handles using a strip of masking tape and 0.2mm steel wire.
Voyager also provides this handle on their PE sheet, but it looks too flat. Handles are moveable since the masking tape & steel wire is not glued together.
Next up, the stowage boxes. Dragon parts are nice looking, but can't be built open. Voyager to the rescue.
These moveable hinges were very tiresome to build. Voyager (and other companies) sell special tool for building hinges, but I didn't want to pay extra $15 for only 10 hinges.
They were carefully made into shape with the guide of drill bits. I used the same 0.2mm wire for merging the two hinges.
At the end, I decided to glue the hinges for more rigidity. I only wanted 1 stowage box to be opened, and it didn't have to be "moveable". In addition, Ive bent and applied some minor damage to the boxes. I didn't add any bullet holes since that felt too cliche
Moving on to the front portion.
At this staged, Ive realised that I actually bought the wrong version of the voyager PE set. The one I needed was for the mod.B variant. There is not much difference between the two versions, except for the light guards. I had to use plastic stripes and PE sprue to replicate the correct light guard.
Dragon provides clear parts for the front lights. Each side has 1 light and 1 IR light. One was painted with silver from behind, and other with gloss black. I used Wave`s pre-cut circle masks to mask the lights.
After long tedious PE work, I decided to do something different.
Building the externally mounted 50cal.
This is a chimera of Voyager barrel and PE, resin parts, Asuka`s 50cal set, etc. I don't think I can build more pimped out 50cal than this one.
With that done, 90% of the tank construction is finished.
I haven't started with the lower suspension, since I am planning to mount this tank on a diorama.