login   |    register
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panda Hobby 1/35 M1296 Stryker Dragoon
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Joined: March 25, 2019
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 03:34 AM UTC
I was wrong, I made a mistake!!!!!!

First of all is here a photo of the item, on which I made the mistake. It shows the lower front plate of the Panda kit.



During my research on the round attachment bosses on that plate, I discovered that Panda Hobby molded the bosses in a correct way.
They even tried to reproduce small tie down loops on some of the bosses at the upper hull.

My problem was that I believed that all of the attachment bosses would look the same: a screw, a big disk and on top a small disk, sometimes an additional tie down loop. As I mentioned before this was wrong!

So, as you can see on the next photo, there are different possibilities on even one vehicle.



The following two photos show, that the lower front plate looks exactly like Panda reproduces it on the kit which means, only a big disk and a screw at the upper two rows and a screw with a very small disk at the lower two rows. At the plate belonging to the driver enhancement kit it seems that there are screws with the “normal” small disk.






So again: mea culpa!!!
This part of the kit is just fine.


Peter

errains
#045
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
Joined: September 23, 2005
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 314 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 04:22 AM UTC
This is looking Kool! I'll definitely keep an eye on this build.

PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Joined: March 25, 2019
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 02:31 AM UTC
Last August I had the opportunity to see an M1296 Stryker Dragoon “live” at the:





at the “Camp Kasserine” in Grafenwöhr.
Knowing that Panda Hobby already announced the kit I took several photos.



Since then I had been waiting for the kit.
So, it arrived last Monday at my place.



As we had a holyday in Germany last Wednesday I immediately started working on it.

When I opened the carton I was a little unpleasantly surprised, for some reasons:
- there were minor flash on a lot of parts (This shouldn’t happen on a new mold!);
- there are some pin marks at visible parts;
- the round panel attachment bosses are really soft molded (Okay, I am used to Trumpeter Strykers, so maybe I am biased at this point.).

I followed the assembly instructions by starting with the four gearbox differentials.
In this first step you could glue the four parts E45 in place, and due to my experience you should. Even as the mount of it is not satisfactorily resolved. Because the outer diameter of part E45 corresponds in no way with its opposite at the lower hull. In the end I used a 5mm drill to guide E45 at place.





Right at the next step, there is a mistake in the instruction: Part D69 and the “left” part E16 have to change places!



The location of the part C20 is woolly, so I used part E34 to fix it to the right place.



The rest of step 1 and step 2 is nice to work. Everything fits properly and some parts even without glueing, for example parts E52 and the nicely rebuild large shock absorbers E43 and E42. They are a really an improvement, compared to the Trumpeter parts.
The parts of the driver enhancement kit, E44 will be glued to its place, after painting.
Also, I haven’t glued B7, the lower front plate to place, because of the mentioned problems with the panel attachment bosses. I will decide later how solve this.





To be continued!

Peter